The Lanesborough Hotel in London is delighted to partner with Somerton Sporting Club to offer guests the opportunity to enjoy exclusive sporting experiences with some of the most decorated sports people in the world whilst staying at The Lanesborough. From multi-Olympic medal winners, to World champions and coaches of Grand Slam winners’, exclusive members club Somerton has access to some of the finest sporting talent across a variety of disciplines, including rowing, tennis, and road & track cycling – all of which are available to guests staying at The Lanesborough. Many of the athletes and coaches are also able to accommodate sessions and programmes with small groups – perfect for families or business trips.
A Somerton membership offers unprecedented access to sport and wellness experiences, with a chance to train with true experts across the globe. With each member, and their family, having a dedicated sports planner, Somerton builds sport, health and fitness into the most demanding schedules, at home and abroad. The Lanesborough has partnered with Somerton to offer one off experiences with a carefully selected group of elite athletes to bring the best of British sport to its guests.
Every experience is designed bespoke and can be planned to include transfers, a dining experience at the venue and a tailored session with the sporting talent focussing on the need of the guest. The experiences take place in some of the finest locations in and around London with exact locations depending on the sport, talent and guest requirements. During their sporting break, guests are also able to utilise the fitness facilities available at the award-winning Lanesborough Club & Spa to hone their skills and fitness.
Some of the sports covered by the experiences include:
Road & Track Cycling
Taking place at various locations in and around London, guests can take to the road or track with some of the finest athletes ever to have taken to two wheels, including:
- Jason Kenny MBE, the joint highest Olympic Gold medal holder from Great Britain with 6 gold medals in track cycling.
- 2-time Vuelta a España stage winner and Irish national champion road cyclist Nicholas Roche.
Guests will have access to some of the finest private racquets clubs in London to spend time on and off court with some of greatest players to ever play the game, including:
- Ramy Ashour, known as ‘The Artist’ and regarded by many in the sport as the greatest squash player in the history of the sport.
- Former world number one, Nick Matthew OBE, who has won the two most prestigious tournaments in the professional game, the British Open and the World Open, three times each.
- Egyptian squash legend Mohamed Elshorbagy, former world number one and current world number two.
Guests can enjoy a day at the famous Leander Club in Henley-On-Thames or further down the river at Putney learning from some of the finest rowers Great Britain has ever produced, including:
- Double Olympic Champion and multiple World Champion Alex Gregory MBE.
- Former World #1 female rower, Helen Glover MBE, who in 2016 was the World, Olympic, World Cup and European record holder, plus the reigning Olympic, World and European champion in the women's coxless pairs.
- Former double World Champion and silver medallist at the Beijing Olympics, Annie Vernon.
Locations: The Leander Club, Henley- On-Thames, Putney
With access to five shooting locations within 40 minutes of London, guests can spend the day learning from former world number one and 2012 Olympic double-trap Champion, Peter Wilson MBE.
Those with an interest in polo are able to spend time at various world-famous polo clubs and private residences in and around London learning from some of the finest players in the game, Jack Richardson and Richard Le Poer, Earl of Tyrone.
In the home of tennis, guests can take to some of the finest private courts in and around London with specialist coaches who have coached some of the world’s best players, including:
- Jonas Björkman, former professional tennis player, and winner of a total of 9 Grand Slams and 54 ATP Doubles titles, including ranking world no.4 & no.1 in doubles. Jonas is the former coach of Marin Čilić and Andy Murray.
- David Felgate, former tennis professional and former coach to English tennis great Tim Henman.
At various locations around London, guests dive in to sessions with Double Olympic medallist, Commonwealth & 4 x European Swimming Champion, Jazz Carlin.
For bookings, please call us on +44 20 7148 1778 or send us an enquiry.
For more information visit: lanesborough.com/sportingmoments